When playing a Michtim character, your Personality defines your group role. Characters with high Love make good healers, those with Anger are expert fighters and heroes with high Fear are hard to find.
Callings modify your character’s capabilities, but don’t (usually) affect your role. The role remains the same, but the way you do your job changes significantly. Sorcerers can do their thing at a distance. Tacticians affect multiple targets. Cybertooth heroes act at blazing speeds. Some Callings offer new Actions, but still rely on the character’s Personality to decide the particular flavor of the effect.
But besides offering mechanical benefits, Callings also come with Utility Powers that offer useful thematic hooks to work with. A Sorcerer has magical knowledge and can cast minor spells that aren’t handled by the rule system at all. A Cook knows everything about Shopkeeping, while a Cybertooth remains unaffected by social interaction, due to their machine-like condition.
When trying to create a fun character, you can pick any Calling and try to tinker with the particulars. Maybe you find new explanations for the mechanics. Maybe you’d like to pick a unique Utility Power that covers your character concept. This time, I’m going to offer new Utility Powers for the Core Callings.
- Adventurer – Wayfinding: You never get lost, regardless of your current whereabouts.
- Artist – Empathy: You are very adept at reading Moods and finding out about other’s Personality.
- Bard – Earing: You are able to hear frequencies that are usually beyond hearing.
- Cook – Refined Taste: You can pick out hidden substances and identify poisons.
- Courtier – Etiquette: You know your way around court and enjoy social standing.
- Cybertooth – Multitasking: You can process multiple mental actions at once.
- Daredevil – Rogue Tricks: You know tricks of misdirection and larceny.
- Frostpaw – Cool Down: You can slow your metabolism so you survive conditions like hunger or a lack of air.
- Machinist – Gearhead: You can build and repair Gear and add Enhancements.
- Sorcerer – Sense Magic: You are attuned to magical energies and can analyze them.
- Tactician – Use Environment: You have a keen understanding of environmental factors and can utilize them.
- Witch – Dryad Friend: You can speak with plants.
Let me know if you like them! Or share your own new Utility Powers!
Also I advise storytellers to allow characters to have multiple Utility Powers per Calling. Everything that fits the Calling’s concept is fair game. Take the new Utility Powers in addition to the existing ones. You should be fine.